Coach C... I will take the fire and brimstone but there is more truth in it than you may think having witness many an instance.

Jamal Geather's knee comes to mind after a game with Airport (albeit not JV) in which a lesser skilled player tired of looking bad and being handled all game long went into a tackle (for certain did not look to be intentional) awkwardly and cost Jamal most of the season and could have cost him more.

The concern is especially for boys, a talented 7th or 8th grader who weighs 100lbs wet needs to go into or defend balls from a 165 lb player whose skill level does not allow him to be in control of his body.

I will agree that for girls is a bit different in that the size differntial may be smaller, but you have to admit in the heat of competition you are more likely to be very physical to at least slow the opponent.

Poor choice of words... I accept the lashing.

The statement I made was to bring out the issue of younger player in JV.

I was not insulting athletes, I was stating a fact applicable to any contact sport.

It has been my experience that soccer players be them classsic or higher are not the problem...

It is the other athletes that do not have the skill for the game. Just like I do not pretend to be able to play basketball or football it does not mean I am not athletic, but it does mean that due to my lack of skill I can be more dangerous to both myself and opponent.. something as simply as getting to a tackle late and not recognizing it. Many schools have teams that include such players.

The SCHSL has determined that you must be in 9th grade to play varsity, yet 7 and 8 th graders play against 11th graders at JV games...or worse SCISA has no such rule and are allowed to play SCHSL schools varsity WITH 7 and 8th graders. Why was the rule introduced? I would guess insurance.

If my kid is a talented soccer player he will play club ball until 9th grade at which time he will try out for Varsity.

Soccer63... there many more HS teams lacking the core base of players than there are with the right base...all the big names for sure have quality and my guess is that very few 7 or 8th graders make the JV. But many schools do not have this base which is one of the reasons I have been told 7 and 8th graders play "otherwise they would not be able to field a team"

Last edited by futbol(soccer); 01/25/08 10:18 PM.