Depends. Are you asking from my personal perspective, based on the team I coach now, or from an overall perspective?

In my world, that player would certainly be on varsity. I don't have many (translate: any) players on varsity that could exceed those qualifications, and such a player would definitely be an asset to the varsity squad and earn plenty of field time.

On the other hand--if I'm coaching a team that is fairly well stacked with challenge players who are older, more experienced, and have earned their PT on the field, and I know that the freshman you refer to probably won't get a lot of game time, then why waste all that talent sitting on the bench?

It's not so much about a player's absolute qualifications as it is about how he/she compares to the rest of the team, not only in ability, but in how well they mesh with the other players who depend on each other. If a group of players has come up through the ranks together, play well with each other, and have a great group dynamic, it may not be doing the one player justice to be separated from that group and moved up without any of the supporting players he/she is used to working with. It may be better wait and move them all up together so that seamless group dynamic stays intact.

Lots of variables...most of which revolve around not only the talent of the individual player, but the composition of the teams surrounding her. I can't give one absolute answer to that...but I can say I'd love to have that player! :-)

I've got good news and bad news...