Kevin's post is factual, accurate, and tactful. I believe his comments concerning the SCHSL were extremely gracious. The SCHSSCA has repeatedly attempted to make improvements for soccer. I was one of the many coaches that supported the aforementioned proposals only to have my AD shoot it down. The SCHSSCA can rock the boat but cannot afford to turn it over.

The reality is that the SCHSL is a small body of full time staffers with an excutive commitee and committee voting on different punishments for rule infractions. The committe membership changes over the years but,they are grounded in the traditional sports. (The self professed great achievement by the SCHSL's representative for soccer was to have the "taunting" rule implemented.)

Don't even consider taking legal action against them in a formal capacity as a coach or they will invoke a rule in their constitution which will make the school ineligible to participate in any sport.

I communicated with the General Counsel for the NFHS, John Black, last year concerning what I thought were issues of conflict of interest and inconsistant decisions and punishments administered by the SCHSL. He very succinctly informed me that the NFHS has no oversight or direction over the state organizations.

"Each state high school association adopting NFHS sports rules is the sole and exclusive source of binding rules interpretations for contests involving its member schools. Any person having questions about the interpretation of NFHS rules should contact the rules interpreter designated by his or her state high school association."

I did successfully petitioned the SCHSL under the Freedom of Information ACT (FOIA) for "priviledged" information. Precedent has been established which enforces compliance but, don't expect quick response. The SCHSL is represented by Sowell Gray Stepp & Laffitte.

Only extreme circumstances force the SCHSL to evolve... lest we should forget Mr. Matthews and the infamous "Soccer Rule".

What has happened with Dutch Fork and Gilbert are travesties of justice.