Quote:

When scsoccer.com released its most recent rankings, there was something unusual about the list of the state¹s top 3-A girls teams.

For the first time in the program¹s history, the Blue Ridge Lady Tigers are ranked among the best teams in the state, entering the week at number 15.

A major reason for the success of the Lady Tigers has been the play of sophomore Marissa Sumwalt. The speedy forward has made a habit of finding the back of the net, including a pair of three-goal efforts last week in games against Chapman and Broome.

Because of her performance, Sumwalt has been named the First National Bank-The Greer Citizen Player of the Week.
"We feel like more of a family this season," Sumwalt said.

"Our success isn't based on one person. Everyone is contributing, and the good coaching is helping too."

The Lady Tigers are playing for a first-year coach, but it is one Sumwalt is quite familiar with, her father.

"It is interesting having him as my coach, but I like it because I can be myself," Sumwalt said.

Blue Ridge will be tested often in region play as Riverside, Eastside, and J.L. Mann are also ranked. Although Sumwalt admits that she is looking forward to seeing how the Lady Tigers stack up against the state¹s best, she added that the team isn¹t looking past anyone.

"We are looking forward to playing those teams, but our only focus is on the next game," Sumwalt said.
Sumwalt is proud to be part of the school¹s first-ever ranked team, but doesn¹t expect the Lady Tigers to be content with the ranking.

"I feel like we can go all the way," Sumwalt said. "As long as we are serious and work hard in practice, I believe we can make the playoffs and see what happens from there."