I don't understand how this thread got so out of wack and going every which way. This whole discussion is about why are the 'elite' REC teams playing the low end REC teams. Bottom line is it is unfair to all real REC teams to take a 'super team' into their bracket. Their is no reason for an SELECT (AYSO ACT) team to play in the bottom bracket for REC teams.

AYSO tournaments can be chartered as "open" - i.e. "we take all comers" - or "closed" - i.e. only available to currently rostered recreational teams. SCYSA tournaments are often a blend of these two - and can have various sub-levels within it. In the simplest of terms, think of the AYSO term "open tournament" to equate to "academy" and "select" in USYSA tournaments. Whether a team is new or established, "select is select" and "stacked is stacked" whether you're winning or not. When Select teams play in a bracket that is deemed to be for rec teams, people are going to get upset - period. It's a "no win" situation even if you get to take home trophies.

Let's say AYSO puts on their end of season tournament. One of the clubs in this state takes their best kids from their own recreational league, organizes them into a team, and puts them in your recreational tournament. I emphasize - not placed in an open bracket, but rather in the non-select (what you call "balanced") bracket. They end up finishing 2nd, but during this run to the final match-up they pound one of the weaker teams that didn't even score during the entire tournament 8-0. Not only would you be less than impressed that the "stacked" team didn't finish first, but I would venture to guess that the coach/parents of the rec team that got pounded by the select team would be a bit peeved that it was even in their bracket.

Obadiah was right when he said you'd be angry and unimpressed if someone did this to you. So why is it different situation just because AYSO sandbagged, and not someone else. Bottom line is it's not and their no reason to be bragging for doing this.